Looking for a way to spice up your grilled fish?
Then sauces are the perfect solution.
The right sauce can add flavor, texture and color to any dish and is especially important when you're cooking tender fish.
From creamy mayo-based sauces to hot sauces, there's something for everyone.
In this article I will examine the ten best sauces for grilled fish.
From classic recipes like tartar sauce to more unique options like chimichurri, these spices will take your fish dishes from good to great!
Why use a sauce with grilled fish?
Grilled fish is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy seafood, but finding the right flavor can be difficult.
Adding a sauce or marinade can help enhance the flavor of your grilled fish and make it more enjoyable.
Here are three reasons why you should use a sauce with grilled fish:
- to add moisture: Fish tends to dry out quickly when grilled, so adding a sauce will help keep it moist and juicy. Sauces also prevent them from sticking and make them easier to turn and toss during cooking.
- How to add flavor:A good sauce brings out the natural flavors of your fish and gives your fish a unique flavor. Marinades are particularly useful in this regard, giving them time to soak into the meat of the fish before grilling, giving it an extra flavor that doesn't burn during cooking like sauces do.
- to create texture: Sauces can also add extra texture to your grilled fish by creating a crispy crust on top that adds crunchy contrast to every bite. This is especially true if you choose something thicker like barbecue or teriyaki sauces, which caramelize very well when exposed to the high temperatures of grilling.
The 10 best sauces for grilled fish
Grilled fish is a delicious and healthy meal, but it can get a little bland without the right sauce.
Here are ten sauces that will enhance the flavor of your grilled fish, each with their own unique flavor:
Remoulade is a condiment made from mayonnaise, cucumber, capers and other spices.
It is often served with seafood dishes such as fried fish or shrimp.
The name derives from the French word for "tartare," which refers to a type of tartare popular in France in the 19th century.
- How it goes: First, combine 1 cup mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons chopped cucumbers, 1 tablespoon capers (drained), 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Mix all the ingredients until well combined. Taste and season if necessary.
- Common use:Tartar sauce is most commonly used as an accompaniment to fried fish or seafood dishes such as crab cakes or shrimp cocktails. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables or french fries, as a spread on sandwiches instead of mayonnaise, or added to salads for extra flavor and creaminess.
2. Chimichurri See more
Chimichurri is a sauce or marinade made from finely chopped parsley, minced garlic, olive oil, oregano, and vinegar.
It originated in Argentina and Uruguay but has become popular around the world.
The sauce's name comes from Argentine slang for "a mixture of things," which perfectly describes this flavorful condiment.
- How it goes:Start by combining fresh parsley, garlic cloves, oregano leaves (dried or fresh), red pepper flakes (optional), salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Then add extra virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar to the mixture and pulse again until a thick paste forms. For seasoning, taste and adjust as needed before placing in a jar or bowl with a lid.
- Common use:Chimichurri can be used as a marinade and sauce for grilled meats like steak or chicken, but is especially delicious when served with fish dishes like grilled salmon or tuna steaks. It can also be used as a topping on sandwiches or salads, mixed into soups or stews to add flavor or simply enjoyed as an accompaniment to breads such as focaccia.
3. Lemon Butter Sauce
Lemon Butter Sauce is a classic French sauce made with butter, lemon juice, and white wine.
It's creamy and rich, but light and flavorful at the same time.
The combination of flavors makes it an ideal accompaniment to grilled fish or seafood dishes.
- How it goes:Start by melting some butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add some minced garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Then add the white wine and let it reduce by half for about 5 minutes. Finally add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened and remove from heat.
- Common use:Lemon butter sauce is often served with grilled fish or seafood such as salmon, cod, shrimp, scallops, etc. .
4. White wine, lemon and caper sauce
White Wine Lemon Caper Sauce is a classic French sauce made with white wine, lemon juice, butter and capers.
It is a light and flavorful accompaniment to grilled fish or other seafood dishes.
- How it goes:To prepare the sauce, start by melting the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the chopped shallots and cook until tender. Then add the white wine and reduce by half. Add the lemon juice and capers to the pan and cook for 5 minutes before adding salt and pepper to taste. Finally, stir in the cold butter until the sauce thickens.
- Common use:The white wine, lemon and caper sauce usually accompanies grilled fish such as salmon or cod, but can also be used as a side dishfried vegetablesor chicken dishes. The bright flavors of this sauce are sure to bring out the best in any dish!
5. Green sauce
Salsa verde is a type of sauce or condiment made with green ingredients like parsley, capers, anchovies, garlic, and olive oil.
It is usually served with grilled fish or other seafood dishes.
The name Salsa Verde comes from the Spanish words for "green sauce".
- How it goes: For salsa verde, combine chopped fresh parsley leaves with capers, anchovies (optional), garlic cloves, lemon juice and zest in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Then add extra virgin olive oil and pulse again until the mixture forms a thick paste. Taste and season if necessary.
- Common use:Salsa Verde can be used as a condiment for grilled fish or seafood dishes like ceviche or shrimp tacos. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables like carrots and celery, or as a spread instead of mayonnaise or mustard. It can also be added to soups and stews for an extra flavor boost.
6. Creole cream sauce
Creme Creole Sauce is a creamy, flavorful sauce made from smoked paprika, butter, diced tomatoes, Creole spices and lemon juice.
It's a popular accompaniment to grilled seafood dishes in the southern United States.
- How it goes: To prepare the creamy sauce, start by melting the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced tomatoes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Then add the smoked paprika powder, Creole spices and lime juice and stir. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Serve hot with grilled fish or other fish dishes.
- Common use:Creole cream sauce is most commonly served as an accompaniment to grilled fish dishes such as blackened redfish or mahi-mahi. It can also be used as a topping for tacos or burritos filled with shrimp or crab meat. The smoky flavor of smoked paprika pairs well with many types of fish dishes and adds depth of flavor to any dish it is added to.
7. Salmoriglio Sauce
Salmoriglio sauce is a traditional Italian condiment made with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt.
It is usually served with grilled fish or vegetables.
- How it goes:For the salmoriglio sauce, first crush two cloves of garlic in a mortar. Then add 8 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves and 1 teaspoon coarse salt. Mix until the ingredients are well combined. Then add 5 ounces of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 10 ounces of extra virgin olive oil to the mixture and mix until combined. Finally, add 10 ounces of water to thin the sauce slightly before serving on the plate.
- Common use:Salmoriglio sauce is most commonly used as a condiment for grilled fish or vegetables such as zucchini orAubergine. It can also be used as a marinade for chicken or pork dishes before grilling. Plus, it can be used as a salad dressing or drizzled over roast potatoes for a touch of flavor!
8. Asian Sweet Sesame Sauce
Asian Sweet Sesame Sauce is a sweet and savory sauce made from sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and other spices.
It has a rich flavor that goes well with grilled fish or vegetables.
- How it goes:To make Asian sweet sesame sauce, mix 1/4 cup sesame oil with 1/4 cup soy sauce in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Then add 1 tbsp minced garlic and 1 tsp grated fresh ginger. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings as desired, adding more soy sauce or sugar if needed.
- Common use:This versatile sauce can be used as a marinade for grilled fish or vegetables before grilling or roasting. It can also be used as a dip for stir-fries like tempura shrimp or chicken nuggets. Additionally, it can be washed down with rice or steamed noodles for an extra touch of flavor.
Cajun tartar sauce is a creamy and flavorful condiment made with mayonnaise, mustard, and various spices.
Originally from Louisiana, it's commonly used as a dipping sauce for seafood dishes like fried shrimp or crab cakes.
- How it goes: First, mix 1 cup mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if desired), ¼ teaspoon paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all the ingredients until well combined. Taste the mixture and adjust the spices as needed. Chill the sauce for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to combine.
- Common use:Cajun tartar sauce is most commonly served as a dipping sauce for fried seafood dishes like shrimp or crab cakes. It can also be used as a spread on sandwiches or hamburgers, or even in soups or stews to add flavor.
10. Dijon Mustard Sauce
Dijon Mustard Sauce is a creamy, flavorful condiment made with Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and other ingredients.
It has a smooth texture and a slightly sweet flavor that goes really well with grilled fish.
- How it goes: For the sauce, mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar and 1 teaspoon honey or sugar for sweetness. Beat until all ingredients are combined. Taste and season to taste.
- Common use:This sauce is often used as a dip for stir-fries like french fries or onion rings, but can also be used to garnish grilled fish or chicken dishes. It can also be used as an ingredient in salads or sandwich dressings to add flavor and creaminess.
In summary, there are many different sauces that can be used to enhance the flavor of grilled fish.
From tartar sauce to creamy piccata sauce, there's a sauce for every taste.
The best sauces for grilled fish are tartar sauce, chimichurri, lemon butter sauce, white wine sauce, green sauce, creamy Cajun sauce, salmoriglio sauce, lemon soy sauce, creamy piccata sauce, and creamy Cajun sauce.
Each of these sauces is unique and gives the grilled fish a different flavor.
Whatever sauce you choose, it's sure to add an extra layer of flavor to your grilled fish and make it even more delicious.
The 10 best sauces for grilled fish
I am an avid fisherman and love to grill my catch of the day. But the real challenge is finding the perfect sauce to complement the flavor of the fish. That's why I made this list of the 10 best sauces for grilled fish. I'll give you step-by-step instructions for each dish, plus tips and tricks for getting the most out of your grilled fish. So if you're looking for a delicious and flavorful way to enjoy your catch, look no further!
Print recipepin recipe
construction time5 Protocol
time to cook5 Protocol
total time10 Protocol
- Lemon Butter Sauce
- White wine, lemon and caper sauce
- Green Sauce
- Creole cream sauce
- Salmoriglio Sauce
- Asian sweet sesame sauce
- Dijon Mustard Sauce
Choose your favorite recipe.
Prepare all the necessary ingredients.
Whip up a salsa recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Website-Web |+ publications
Jenny has always had a passion for cooking and uses her platform to share her love of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow and she loves sharing tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.
Layer on the Lettuce, Tomato, Cheese, Pickles, and Mayonnaise. You really can't go wrong with whatever choice you make.What is fish sauce made of? ›
Fish sauce is a popular ingredient made from salted anchovies or other fish that have been fermented for up to 2 years ( 1 ). Most commonly used in Southeast Asian cooking, fish sauce lends its rich, savory, earthy, and umami flavor to many dishes, including pad thai, pho, green papaya salad, and stir-fries ( 1 ).What is a common fish sauce? ›
While nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce) and nam pla (Thai fish sauce) are among the most widely available types of fish sauce in the U.S., it exists in slightly varying styles all over the world: ngan-pya-ye (Burmese), tuk trey (Cambodian), budu (Malaysian), patis (Filipino), colatura di alici (Italian), shottsuru ( ...What fish does McDonald's use? ›
We use wild-caught Alaska Pollock for our Filet-O-Fish® sandwich in the U.S., which is 100% sourced from sustainable fisheries. Why is sustainable fish so important to us? Because it helps protect our oceans—something that's important to you.What can you add to fish for flavor? ›
There are many ways to enhance its flavor, however, with fresh herbs like thyme or tarragon, or a marinade of soy sauce, spices and ginger. In the winter, a freshwater fish like whitefish is good seasoned with mustard, lemon and garlic and baked in the oven.What kind of fish does Arby's use in their fish and chips? ›
The Arby's Crispy Fish Sandwich features wild-caught Alaskan Pollock, crispy-fried to golden-brown perfection with tartar sauce and iceberg lettuce, topped with a sesame seed bun.What three ingredients should fish sauce contain? ›
Southeast Asian fish sauce is often made from anchovies, salt, and water, and is intensely flavoured. Anchovies and salt are arranged in wooden barrels to ferment and are slowly pressed, yielding the salty, fishy liquid.How many types of fish sauce are there? ›
Fish sauce, the condiment made from fermented anchovy, has more fans than some could probably imagine.What makes fish sauce so good? ›
Fish sauce is packed with glutamate, which our tastebuds pick up as a distinctive savory sensation known as umami. Use it judiciously (more on this later) and all traces of fishiness fade, making way for a beguiling background. In plain words, fish sauce makes food taste meatier.How can I make my fish stick better? ›
In a shallow dish, combine 1 beaten egg with 2 tablespoons water or milk. This wet mixture helps the coating stick to the fish.
No fish and chip supper would be complete without some ketchup. This tomato sauce has a richer and earthier flavour making it the perfect accompaniment to your fish.What is hook and reel sauce? ›
THE O.G. SPICE. CAYENNE, GARLIC AND PAPRIKA DELIVER THAT BACKYARD BOIL FEELING, SO KICK YOUR FEET UP AND RELAX. NET WEIGHT 9 OZ.What is America's favorite sauce? ›
Ketchup reigns supreme, being favored by a whopping 25 states. Barbeque sauce is the next runner-up, despite being favored by only 5 states. 8 states have a favorite sauce that's only #1 in their state.Where is fish sauce most popular? ›
You can think of it as soy sauce, but with fish! It's the main salting agent in traditional Thai cuisine, and is widely used in many Southeast Asian countries such as Laos, Vietnam, and the Philippines.What was the important fish sauce called? ›
Garum – a fermented fish sauce that was used in the cuisines of ancient Greece, Rome, and Byzantium. Garum was prepared from the intestines of small fish through the process of bacterial fermentation.What are the five great sauces? ›
The five French mother sauces are béchamel, velouté, espagnole, hollandaise, and tomato. Developed in the 19th century by French chef Auguste Escoffier, mother sauces serve as a starting point for a variety of delicious sauces used to complement countless dishes, including veggies, fish, meat, casseroles, and pastas.What fish does Burger King use? ›
100% White Alaskan Pollock with crispy panko breading, sweet tartar sauce, and crunchy pickles on a toasted brioche-style bun.What fish does Wendy's use? ›
It includes a Wild-Caught Alaskan Pollock fillet coated in crispy panko breading topped with lettuce, a slice of American cheese, pickles and creamy dill tartar sauce, all served on our premium bun.What fish is better cod or Pollock? ›
For the same reason, the content of healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids Omega-3 in Alaska pollock is almost twice higher than in Pacific cod. Other differences in nutritional value or taste are not so significant, while Alaska pollock has a great advantage due to its more affordable price.What is the best seasoning to put on fish? ›
Brush one side of the fish fillets lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, Old Bay, and paprika. Place the fillets on the pan or grill with the seasoned side down. Brush the second side with olive oil and sprinkle with additional seasonings.What kind of fish is Arby's using? ›
Arby's Crispy Fish Sandwiches are served with a generous Alaskan pollock filet that has a mild flavor, so it's not overwhelmingly “fishy.” Fried fresh, it's a great lunch option while on the go.What kind of fish sandwich is Arby's? ›
Their Crispy Fish Sandwich is the same as it was back in 2018 and is a classically prepared Alaskan Pollock fillet crispy-fried to a nice golden brown, topped with tartar sauce, shredded lettuce and served on a sesame seed bun.What fish does KFC use? ›
Get a head start on the morning's top stories. The sandwich is made of Alaskan Pollock, the largest food fish resource in the world and a fish commonly used to make breaded and battered fish products. It comes with tartar sauce and is served on a sesame seed bun. KFC is owned by Louisville, Ky.Is mayo good with fish? ›
Not only does mayonnaise adhere to the fish really well, but it keeps the fish tender and prevents fillets and whole fish from sticking to the grill. And no need to worry about your fish tasting like mayo — the flavor isn't noticeable after cooking.Why is tartar sauce good with fish? ›
Tartar sauce is a cold dipping sauce that is usually served alongside seafood, mainly fish. It's a creamy condiment that is known for its rich and tangy flavor. Tartar sauce is a staple condiment at many seafood restaurants because it's mostly used for fried fish and fried oysters.What Cannot be eaten with fish? ›
Milk, buttermilk, honey, urad dal and sprout grains shouldn't be eaten with fish.What are 3 things fish eat? ›
For example, fish eat a variety of insects including flies, mayflies, midges, crickets, grasshoppers, and beetles. Many fish also eat worms, including superworms, mealworms, bloom worms, leeches, and nightcrawlers. Some larger fish will prey on small rats, mice, snakes, frogs, turtles, and other, smaller fish.What is fish Favourite food? ›
Live fish food include earthworms, sludge worms, water fleas, bloodworms, and feeder fish. Food for larvae and young fish include infusoria (Protozoa and other microorganisms), newly hatched brine shrimp and microworms. These are the most preferred type of food for fishes, but are difficult to get.What can I add to mayo to make it taste better? ›
- Minced fresh herbs (either a combination, or just one)
- Curry Powder.
- Citrus juices and/or zest.
- Garlic, fresh or really good granulated/powdered.
Reach for the mustard and mayonnaise when broiling or baking fish. These two basic condiments provide a subtle flavor boost while protecting delicate fish from toughening or drying out. Simply spoon roughly equal portions of mayo and mustard in a bowl.Should you mix fish and dairy? ›
Scientifically speaking, there is no reason why we should avoid eating fish and dairy together. And you can find many recipes that incorporate both together, like baked fish with a cream-based sauce.What's in Gordon Ramsay's tartar sauce? ›
For Gordon Ramsay Tartar Sauce, you want to combine 1/3 cup mayo, 2 t lemon juice, 1 t sweet pickle relish, and 1/4 t onion powder. Mix well. Refrigerate until needed. Better if set for 20-30 minutes.What goes best with tartar sauce? ›
Tartar sauce is traditionally served with seafood dishes like crab cakes and fish and chips, but in our house, we eat it with veggies instead! Here are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy it: With crispy baked (or air fried) veggies. I'd take crispy veggies over fish sticks any day!How do you use fish sauce properly? ›
The salty, savory ingredient is used to add umami to dozens of popular dishes, such as pad thai, but can also be used to marinate meats, dress vegetables or punch up the flavor in soups or stews. It can even serve as a base to salad dressings and homemade condiments.What makes fish tasty? ›
Much depends on whether a fish lives in freshwater or saltwater: saltwater fish counterbalance the salinity of their environment by producing flavor-giving amino acids, including sweet-tasting glycine and savory glutamate, that milder-tasting freshwater fish lack.